Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Teachable Moment of the Day (x2)

#1 I slept in until 10:19 am. This is the only time I have slept in this summer. I then chose to not come downstairs until 2 pm. Don't get me wrong, I was doing stuff. I drank my coffee that my wonderful Paul brought up to me, and laid with the baby during his nap watching HGTV. The thing this taught me was that I need to do it again. =)

#2 After I got out and started weeding and fertilizing my lawn and flowers, Abby complained that she was bored, but no, she couldn't help me (naturally). I asked her to get on her bike and start practicing her riding. Now, she is a TOP student, dancer, and great at many, many things, but she is nearly 8 1/2 and can't (won't) ride her bike. I have been helping her for nearly 3 years...today I was tired of the cheering, polite prodding, and sensitive crap and told her to just get going. Actually, after about 45 min. of sweating, supporting her butt, and cajoling, I told her to learn how to do this thing or she couldn't go in the house tonight. I'm embarrassed to say that I said that, and I know it wouldn't have been something I carried through, but five minutes later........SHE RODE ALL THE WAY DOWN THE STREET AND BACK!!!!!!!!!! With absolutely no reservation, I screamed and whooped it up all the way out to her!!
Because I want to finish my yard tonight, I went back to weeding. Several minutes later, Abby walks over to me and stated, "Mom, sometimes you just have to stop cheering me on and kick my butt. Good job!"
I am so proud!
Now off to the backyard again. The weeds are waiting!

1 comment:

Penalew said...

Christina - OMG that's both so funny and so - I don't know - touching? I seriously teared-up reading about the bike ride! What a great mom!!